Our environmental commitment arose because as surfers and lovers of the natural world, we have a deep appreciation for our oceanic environment. We are immersed and surrounded by it every time we surf, and want to ensure our pleasure is not at its peril.
Our own personal concerns led us to analysing the products of the surfing industry. It became apparent that only a small number of companies are committed to reducing the environmental impact of the industry. Surfing is a great sport, but the production and use of surf-related products has a negative environmental toll on the natural world. For example:
- There are an estimated 23,000,000 surfers globally.
- Each year 400,000 new surfboards are made from incredibly toxic foams and synthetic resins.
- Wetsuits are made from neoprene; a synthetic rubber produced from petroleum by-products.
- Board shorts are often made of synthetically produced polyester and petroleum derived nylon fabrics.
IMPACTS OF SURF WAX
Of the six billion bars of surf wax purchased annually worldwide, most contain a blend of ingredients that are non-biodegradable, non-sustainable, non-renewable, synthetic, toxic or genetically modified. A typical block of surfboard wax might contain a mix of the following:
- paraffin wax (petrochemical by-product)
- petroleum jelly (petrochemical by-product)
- microcrystalline wax (petrochemical by-product)
- vistanex® (petrochemical by-product)
- synthetic glues and resins
- synthetic dyes and fragrances
Additionally, some 'eco' brands use palm oil or GM products (some soybean oil).
OUR INGREDIENTS ARE ALL NATURAL
Treehugger Surf Wax is comprised of a unique blend of:
- Beeswax (biodegradable, renewable & sustainable, non-toxic).
- Plant oils (biodegradable, non-toxic, renewable & sustainable. Free from petrochemicals, GM products & palm oil).
- Mineral clays (petrochemical free, biodegradable, non-toxic).
- Plant resins (biodegradable, non-synthetic, renewable & sustainable, non-toxic).
Our surf wax is wrapped in 100% Post Consumer Recycled paper.
The adhesives we use are 65% plant based, solvent free, and come in 100% recycled plastic.
Our choice of packing tape is produced from 100% recycled plastic.
For shipping, we make our own product packaging from reclaimed cardboard boxes, or 100% Post Consumer Recycled card.
We continually assess our practices to ensure we leave the lightest carbon footprint possible.